Mercer 10 Takeways1

The countdown really feels on now. In 12 days' time, the Stanley Cup Playoffs will get underway and your New Jersey Devils will be there. It looks, by most of the math (and I'm terrible at math) that the Devils and Rangers are on a collision course to face off in the first round. I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared for the energy in the building. I remember what it was like when it was Devils versus Lightning in 2018 and that was wild. But if it's Devils and Rangers, that type of energy almost terrifies me - in a good way!
We'll know soon enough because the runway on the regular season is running out and the Devils hope for that smooth landing to propel them into the postseason. It has been an up-and-down week since we last met for 10 Takeaways, but coming off this most recent victory over the Penguins was so important after the loss against the Jets.
The team looked refreshed, looked ready, and dictated play from the get-go. There's still plenty to play for with four games left, whether it's home-ice advantage or otherwise, that's where we start in this week's 10 Takeaways, presented by Ticketmaster.

#

Makethat three players this season with a hat trick after Dawson Mercer's three-goal night on Tuesday. Mercer joins Jack Hughes (Nov. 26, vs WSH) and Jesper Bratt (Mar. 20, vs TBL)

PIT@NJD: Mercer scores three goals against Penguins

It's the first time since 2011-12 that the Devils had three hat tricks in a single season. It was Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk who combined for the three, the latter scoring two hat tricks that season.

Going back two months to the day, so Feb 15, Dawson Mercer is among the league's Top 10 goal scorers with 16 goals. Add another 10 assists during that span and 26 of Mercer's 55 points this season have come in the last two months.
A kid who just strives to get better and go about his business.
Since Feb 1, his goal total also leads the entire Devils team.

We're approaching the 20-game mark for Timo Meier as a New Jersey Devil. That's right around the mark where a player should start to feel quite comfortable, have a strong awareness of the new systems and feel far more adjusted to a group have been plucked away from their previous team.
Meier is starting to pick up steam with three goals in his last four games. It's taken some time but Meier's connection with his teammates on the power play, where being in sync is vitally important, is starting to show as well.

PIT@NJD: Meier scores on 5-on-3 power play in the 2nd

There's something special brewing there.

Yes, there is anew ping-pong table that has appeared in the Devils locker room. It gets moved around from time to time, so it's not always in the locker room. But when it is, those battles get heated and the competition is fierce. I think the best part of it is listening to the guys not playing chirping the guys who are.
Also, yes, Tomas Tatar - who clearly is a competitor - takes it extremely seriously. I haven't seen him play much yet so I don' know where his skills rank next to his hockey-playing and soccer abilities.

I knew exactly the type of answer I'd get, asking about not being shut out against the Winnipeg Jets. It truly means nothing, especially in a game that was as difficult as that one was. But it was a silver lining to an otherwise forgettable night.
Four games to play … and the Devils and Leafs are the only two remaining teams left in the league who have not been shut out this season.

This is
a great story done by Daily Faceoff
about Ondrej Palat and his former teammate Victor Hedman. Together the two are investors in a football club in England, Plymouth Argyle. I talked to Palat earlier in the season about his team and he's slowly trying to convert his Devils teammates into fans (Note: he's got Tatar watching, keeping an eye on the Argyle).
Turns out, The Pilgrims (as is their nickname), are doing quite well in Palat and Hedman's first year as investors. They're on the verge of a promotion to the Championship League, which is second to the Premier League. Pretty cool story brewing.

Here comes Dougie Hamilton! With his 21st goal of the season on Tuesday night, he's one away from tying Erik Karlsson for the most goals scored this season by a defenseman. The race is on!

PIT@NJD: Hamilton blasts slap shot for a goal in 1st

Do you know what's wild? Back in 2015, it was Dallas Stars Jamie Benn who won the Art Ross Trophy at the end of the year for leading the league in points.
How many points to Benn have that season? The answer is: 87.
87!
That wouldn't even put a player anywhere in contention these days. The league is on the verge of having at least eight 100-point players and could potentially have even more.

Will Jack Hughes be one of them? It's not out of reach. He's up to 91 points with four games remaining. He'll have to have a pretty monstrous next four games but if anyone can do it, it's Jack.