Cup Champs 40 Years 1920x1080

The hat trick championship of 2003 was something else.
Remarkable, unexpected, poignant, artistic, scary, and fun. Call it what you will but it was an extraordinary accomplishment that I, as an MSG Network commentator, viewed firsthand. It easily was one of the all-time reporting thrills of my 45-year tv career.
This time I was especially fortunate to have my former intern-turned-prize-winning reporter George Falkowski along with me for much of the 2003 series. Plus, Georgie is the wise one who originally gave me the idea -- and did big-time research for this particular theme. It snugly fits into the gala reunion of the 2003 Cup champs.
Here's my proud collection of heroes and their heroics who delivered a third Stanley Cup to New Jersey.

9. INTO ORBIT IN BEANTOWN

The first playoff round often can be a make-or-break tourney for aspiring titlists and such was the case for New Jersey in the spring of 2003.
Devils vs. Bruins had become an intense rivalry dating back to the 1988 playoff -- Koharski, Yellow Sunday, plus -- and once again hostilities were renewed. This time coach Pat Burns' skaters opened with two wins at home and now the Bruins hoped to tip momentum their way in the big rink on Causeway Street.
Captain Scott Stevens put an early damper on the Bostonians just 1.11 into the first period. Marty Brodeur -- now at his career peak -- stopped every missile sent his way right into the third period. Just to make sure Monsieur Brodeur was rewarded for his noble effort, native Bostonian Jay Pandolfo -- a Boston U alumna -- put his mates ahead with eight minutes left. And when the home team pulled their goalie near the end, Pando set up linemate John Madden's open-netter.
(Historic Note:Covering the game for News 12 New Jersey, reporter George Falkowski compared Brodeur's 29-save shutout with the historically famous USS Constitution which was nestled in the nearby Charlestown NavyYard. "Marty was the hockey version of 'Old Ironsides,' Falkowski explained. " It was the first of his seven playoff shutouts and all but clinched the series that the Devils won in five.")

8. CAPTAIN COURAGEOUS

We all know that hockey players are tough hombres who'll play through pain no matter how intense it might be. Never was there a better example of this than in 2003 when defenseman Scott Stevens' efforts in the second round series were beyond belief against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
During Game Three the captain was felled by a wicked slapshot to Scott's head delivered by the Bolts' Pavel Kubina.
Watching the play, reporter Falkowski said, "Stevens fell to the ice, skidded to the corner, leaving a trail of blood like a car leaking oil."
From my vantage point, viewing the episode, I assumed that Stevens would be finished for the series no matter how long the playoffs extended. Meanwhile, a veil of secrecy descended over the episode with no official word about the extent of Stevens' injury.
A day later, my MSG Networks sidekick, Matty Loughlin, and I cabbed to coach Pat Burns' press conference but he refused to comment on Stevens' condition, nor did he after the next day's morning skate. With a 2-1 series lead, Burns had every right to rest the injured Stevens. Instead, the courageous captain showed up with a stitched left ear covered as if nothing much ever happened!
Not only that but with his club leading 2-1 in the contest, Scott scored the game-clinching goal with just under seven minutes remaining. His ice time reached more than the 27-minute mark and two nights later, Stevens' heroism was rewarded as his team eliminated the Lightning.

7. MARSHALL'S MEANINGFUL MANEUVER

Grant Marshall is one of those guys you just loved to have on the ice in a clutch situation and in the room to galvanize a team. Some called him a "grunt" but that was a compliment simply because he was all grit.
That was evident in Dallas when he played on a Stanley Cup-winning Stars team and even more obvious when Lou Lamoriello imported him to New Jersey in a move that was hailed by few but the very insightful folks labeled "hockey people."
Ironically, this cool cat had never scored a playoff goal until donning a Devils sweater. Yet in the Cup-winning year of 2003, Grant lit the red bulb no less than six times. The signature goal of them all happened so fast that it took me by surprise.
Then again, that may have been because I was fatigued by the time it took place in the third overtime period of Game Five of the second round against John Tortorella's Tampa Bay Lightning. Mind you, this was no accident of luck on Marshall's part. In the decisive final game of the third round at Ottawa, it was Grant-on-the-spot once again.
Only this time he fed Jeff Friesen the series-winning goal in Game Seven of the Conference Final. Each of the two aforementioned plays was among the most exciting that I had ever witnessed in my Devils-watching career. On top of that Marshall was just one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and a gift to the media.

6. THE SCORER FROM OUT OF NOWHERE

My reporter pal George Falkowski traveled on many a playoff -- and regular season as well -- expedition with me. Pal Fal reminded me that a Lamoriello trade with Anaheim during the 2002 off-season was scoffed at by many.
The general manager sent natural goal scorer Petr Sykora to the Mighty Ducks for forward Jeff Friesen. This generated a "Jeff Who?" commentary in New Jersey hockey circles, not to mention a "Why?" as well.
As it happened, there was something special -- call it "hockey savvy" -- about Friesen that was not unlike that of Grant Marshall. Jeff not only repaid Lou but Devils fans as well. He tallied 23 goals during 2002-03 but punctuated his presence by adding ten more biggies in the playoffs; of which four were game-winners.
The Derby-winner of them all emerged in Game Seven at Ottawa when Jeff breezed along with the breeze past the Senators defenders to score a late third period series-winner.
As if returning for a supreme encore he delivered two goals in Game Seven against Anaheim; the finale with under four minutes to play before Cup-ville time.

5. THE THOROUGHBRED OF 2003

The bloodlines of greatness were all there for the Devils when Lamoriello corralled forward Jamie Langenbrunner from Dallas in 2002. But who dared guess just how good that move would turn out to be?
Never one for the flamboyant game, Jamie did what had to be done with a thank-you-very-much demeanor and then calmly proceeded on to his next goal. All in all, The Big L led New Jersey in playoff scoring with eleven goals and seven assists; and four of those red lights were game-winners.
"Plus, he did it without ever raising his voice," says historian Falkowski. "Not even once. He was one of the most unappreciated Devils of all time; leading by example."
Jamie's firm leadership qualities eventually would win him the team captaincy but in that Spring of 2003 his championship feats were sufficient. No, make that more than sufficient. Call Langenbrunner, the thoroughbred's thoroughbred.

4. THE BITTER SWEET FINALE FOR DANO

When a team slogs through four challenging rounds before capturing the ultimate prize, there inevitably are going to be ups and downs with plenty of heroes along the way. Some heartaches also will intrude. Hey, it happens.
Arguably the saddest saga of them all involved Mister Devil, Ken Daneyko.
Clearly, in the twilight of his long career, Dano knew that the handwriting was on the wall when Lamoriello brought D-man Richard Smelhik to New Jersey.
Granted, coach Burns played Kenny in the first three games of the opening playoff round with Boston. However, that Game Three proved to be finis for Daneyko's 165-game playoff streak. Burns benched him for Game Four.
"Maybe Pat did it on account of the Devils having a 3-0 series lead," said one reporter. "But after New Jersey lost 5-1 in Game Four -- Smehlik was minus 1 -- Dano returned for the Game Five series-clinching 3-0 win."
But that wasn't enough to keep Kenny out of Burns' doghouse. Pat played Dano in only 13 of the 24 playoff games. But the real melodrama unfolded in the Cup Final against Anaheim. Daneyko was benched for the first six games leading up to the heart-throbbing climax in Game Seven.
It was then that the coach took an enormous gamble and played Dano, albeit for only eleven minutes. Ken did nothing wrong and had the pleasure of lifting The Stanley Cup in the last game of his storied career.

3. THE UNSUNG GOLD DUST TWINS

Never did their names flash brightly on the marquee but always their works were appreciated by the masses and their teammates.
Defenseman Tommy Albelin could very well have been nicknamed "Steady As They Come" while diminutive forward Sergei Brylin certainly earned the handle "The Little Man Who's Always There."
Each was a role player extraordinaire whose contributions were appreciated by the media because each performed their jobs in a classy, competent manner.
Remarkably, Brylin, the compact Russian whose teammates called him "Sarge," played on all three Devils Cup teams and meaningfully contributed in each tournament.
Albelin sipped champagne in 1995 and on his return to New Jersey played in all seven games of the 2003 Final. Together, Sarge and Tom Terrific accomplished a ton but not in the superhero realm; just darn good championship hockey.

2. RUPP RHYMES WITH CUP

Virtually every Stanley Cup-winning team can claim to have a "Cinderella Story." For the 2003 edition of the Devils, the prime candidate for Cinderella's role had to be lanky Mike Rupp. Or as funny Falkowski put it, "Stanley Rupp."
Until Game Seven, Rupp, the tall drink of water, remained more unknown than known in Devils country. Curiously, the fact that coach Burns chose to dress Mike in Game Seven rather than future Hall of Famer Joe Nieuwendyk was a stunner in and of itself.
But there was Rupp not only taking a turn but beating Smythe Trophy-winning goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere for the first -- and winning -- goal of the game; alias the Cup-clincher.
As an equally wonderful postscript, Rupp also had a hand in Jeff Friesen's two goals that rounded out New Jersey's scoring en route to the 3-0 triumph.
By the way, the fruits of Rupp's success story now can be seen on television where he has staked out a career as a sage analyst of NHL games.

1. KING OF THE CREASE

There have been running debates about goaltending feats ever since the Devils were crowned the 2003 Stanley Cup champions. The standard theme goes like this:
"How come the goaltender who delivered the third Stanley Cup to New Jersey was not awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy? Or, how come the losing netminder Jean-Sebastien Giguere got the prize?
It remains a good question, especially since the immortal Brodeur hurled three shutouts against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Without them, there would not be a third Cup in the Devils' prize cabinet.
"Lost in the drama of the series was the fact that Marty actually took another shutout into overtime of Game Four," historian Falkowski concludes. "The scoreless duel ended when Steve Thomas scored the winner for Anaheim."
No matter; Marty never was one to fret. Giguere, who certainly was good, got the Smythe but Brodeur went one better -- no, make that three better -- winning his third title!