Jan 2 40 Years 1920x1080

If ever there was a "No Brainer Of All No Brainers" it would be picking the best Devils goalkeeper of all time, if not the best goalie ever.
It has to be Martin Brodeur but then the guessing comes after. So, here goes

2. SEAN BURKE

For too many seasons, the Devils reached for a playoff berth -- and missed. But late in the 1987-88 scene, a Canadian Olympic goalie arrived from the Winter Games in Calgary and changed everything. Big, intense, Burke put the Devils in and carried them all the way to the third playoff round. Sean's puck-stopping keyed New Jersey's first playoff series win against the first-place
Islanders, a major upset. A last-second, season-clinching save on Pat LaFontaine remains etched in the minds of Devils fans witnessing it that night.

3. GLENN (CHICO) RESCH

As longtime Devils-watcher Noam Kogen points out, "Resch had the unfortunate situation of being a good goalie on some very bad teams." I place him up high on this list because Resch kept the Devils in many games that they otherwise would have lost with an average stopper. (Plus, he was the best goalie interview in NHL history.) Being a Stanley Cup-winner with the Islanders, Glenn brought instant credibility to the franchise's goaltending corps.

4. MIKE DUNHAM

A product of the Devils' Albany River Rats AHL Calder Cup winners in 1995, Dunham was the best backup Marty Brodeur ever had. Dunham was so exceptional at times that he even challenged The Great Number One for the starting role; but never won it. Suffice to say that Dunny could have been a Numero Uno on quite a few other NHL teams. Had coach Jacques Lemaire played Mike more often he might well have gotten more attention throughout the league.

5. SCOTT CLEMMENSON

MSG Networks Devils' tv graphics coordinator Leo Scaglione, Jr. put it best when he said, "Clemmer was a thrill to watch during the 2008-09 season when Brodeur was sidelined." Scott looked like a starter and played like one. "Thanks to him," added Leo, "it was one of the most fun seasons I've ever had watching the team." One of the beauty parts with Scott was his comfort in the backup role, never disrupting club harmony with complaints.

6. BOB SAUVE

One of Lou Lamoriello's wisest moves was employing this little French-Canadian battler as back-up for the 1987-88 season. Bob's veteran's experience was invaluable when Sean Burke joined the team late in the campaign. When a clutch performance was needed in the final week of the season, Sauve delivered in Buffalo and his effort resulted in New Jersey's first playoff berth. He then went on to win a few playoff games, adding to his value. Always with a smile on his face, Bobby providd a tonic for a team during its first playoff drive.

7. ALAIN CHEVRIER

Prior to the first playoff team, the Devils obtained some very solid -- yet unspectacular -- work in the pre-Sean Burke months. While Chevvy never made it to the playoffs in New Jersey, he proved to be an ace with the cards he was dealt. Unfortunately he never received the credit he deserved for prevailing during the early difficult times.

8. CORY SCHNEIDER

His credentials were as good as any NHL starter but, as Pal Leo points out, he "was in the wrong place and the wrong time. He was solid when the team wasn't." Eventually injuries caught up with him and subpar play
besmirched his previously solid resume. Following the Camelot-like Brodeur Era, Schneider was thurst in as challenging a task as any stopper ever faced. Suffice to say in Cory's defense, he did the best he could without sulking over his situation.

9. JOHN VANBIESBROUCK

The Devils 2000-2001 team was one of the franchise's best and Beezer was a part of it. He was a more than able back-up to Brodeur and came close to winning a Cup. All in all, it was a short, sweet stint. But -- looking backward -- a tough way for a first-class goalkeeper to end his superior career.

10. CHRIS TERRERI

A star at Providence College, Lou Lamoriello imported the little guy as a young Marty's aide de camp. As Brodeur's sub, Chris produced two of the gutsiest playoff victories at Boston Garden against a very tough Bruins sextet. It was the highlight of Terreri's NHL career. But, as George Falkowsi noted,"Chris was outstanding in the 1994 playoff against Boston after Marty was shaky in the first two home losses to the Bruins. Terreri stepped in and won a pair at Boston Garden and came back again and won Game Six. Without that body of work, the Devils never would have won the series."

11. JOHAN HEDBERG

His most notable moments took place when head coach Jacques Lemaire replaced John MacLean behind the bench in the second half of the 2010-11 season. With Hedberg as fill-in in for Brodeur, the Devils generated an unreal hot streak that came remarkably close to producing an unlikely playoff berth.

12. CRAIG BILLINGTON

Goalie guru Kogen believes that Biller was rushed to The Show too soon. I remember him as a most competent stopper during the transition period between Burke and Brodeur. In some ways Craig was a latter-day
Bob Sauve; a little guy with a sweet disposition who was as good in the dressing room as he was in the crease.

13. KEITH KINKAID

I like to think I "discovered" the Long Island product via a mutual friend. Of course I was thrilled when Lou signed him as a free agent. He was mostly a backup until the 2018 portion of the 2017-18 season when he backtopped the Devils into the playoffs. The fact that Double K still is around proves his worth.

14. COREY SCHWAB

Another one of my favorites, Corey split the River Rats goaltending with Mike Dunham in 1994-95 when Albany won the Calder Cup. A battler if ever there was one, Scwabby turned out to be an asset much like Dunham. Unfortunately there was no way that he could advance very far in Jersey with Marty Brodeur around making merry between the pipes.

15. SCOTT WEDGEWOOD

Here's one fellow who showed a lot of promise but just fell short of getting the starting gig. Still, he has lately shown to have the goods and is proving it as the Stars' able backup.

MY THREE FAVORITE CONTEMPORARIES:

#

A. VITEK VANECEK

When Mackenzie Blackwood went down with injuries, Double V stepped up and has become a vital factor in the club's climb to elite NHL status. Vitek has been full value since becoming top banana between the pipes. His future as a starter is virtually guaranteed.

B. MACKENZIE BLACKWOOD

My buddy Chico Resch remains very high on Blackwood's future. The problem, of course, is whether or not Mac can once and for all escape the injury plague. If that should happen, New Jersey's goaltending depth will be as deep as ever in franchise history.

C. AKIRA SCHMID

Exhibit A when it comes to Devils goaltending assets, Schmid could prove to be the find of all finds. During the club's remarkable fall winning streak, he stepped up as a starter and display the calm and competence of a veteran. His future is bright.
Needless to say, I welcome feedback -- comments of all kinds. Just don't anybody dare suggest that anyone but Marty belongs on top!
(Thanks to Noam Kogen, Leo Scaglione, Jr. and George Falkowski for their invaluable insights.)