Jan9_40Yrs_1920x1080

Is he a good interview?
That always was my opening question about any NHL player.
I was less interested in whether he could pass, shoot, score, hit or make sensational saves.
Since I was getting paid good dough to talk to players, coaches and managers, I cared most of all about how they were in front of a SportsChannel and later MSG Networks' microphone and tv camera than anything else.
After four decades covering the Devils, here are my top ten interview subjects; and the reasons why:

2. JACQUES LEMAIRE

I regard the 1995 Cup-winning coach, as a behind-the-bench version of Brodeur. Which just happens to be my highest compliment. As a Hall of Fame, multi-Cup-winning center with the Canadiens, this likable French-Canadian played the game as if he had not one but two brains in his head. He then transferred that wisdom to his behind-the-bench work.
Not only was Jumpin' Jacques articulate as a coach but just as understandably eloquent facing the cameras and mikes. One of my favorite confrontations with Lemaire occurred after backup goalie -- and one of my other favorites -- Mike Dunham came up with a starry shutout on a Saturday night in East Rutherford.
In the postgame media scrum, I had the first question. "Jacques: Dunham played so well tonight, you just have to play him on Monday in Philly?"
"No, I don't." Lemaire shot back. To which I countered: "But what can be better than Mike coming up with a shutout?"
"You want to know what could be better?' Lemaire flashed his winsome smile and replied: "MARTY BRODEUR!"
That, my friends, was my definition of the "perfect squelch,' courtesy of the perfect coach.

3. BOBBY HOLIK

Shortly after Lou Lamoriello obtained the husky Czech ace from Hartford, I was on the road with the team and stumbled upon Holik at the hotel magazine stand. What instantly struck me was Bobby's literature choices.
He was checking out political publications and a cerebral selection of books. I said to myself, "This is a smart player who I want to get to know."
And I did.
It didn't take me very long to learn that this intense stickhandler would be someone to talk to -- on or off the air -- at any time we'd meet. And it didn't take long to discover that he was as perfectly candid as any player I'd ever interviewed.
Exhibit A took place at Madison Square Garden after the first period of a game against the rival Rangers. The Devils were behind by a goal and I wondered how Holik felt about the period. He wasted no time telling me -- and our SportsChannel audience -- that teammate Scott Gomez blew the play that led to the New York goal. An interviewer could not have obtained a more honest answer than that! It may not have pleased Gomer but my audience sure appreciated Honest Bobby!

4. SCOTT GOMEZ

Theoretically, the 1999-2000 season was supposed to be a "Rebuild Year." But, then again, who could have imagined that the Devils could come up with gems such as center Johnny Madden, defenseman Brian Rafalski and, of course, the pride of Alaska, Senor Gomez?
What made Scotty so special to me was his absolute delight in being a big leaguer; something that was not only written all over his mug but was apparent in just about every interview I conducted with him.
Let's face it, we're talking about a rookie who was hell-bent on winning the Calder Trophy as freshman of the year. But the other winning aspect of Scotty's personality -- it always showed through -- was his sense of humor.
"Hey," one reporter said to me, "this guy really likes to fool around."
But Gomer also betrayed a no-nonsense streak and if he felt there was some criticism to toss around -- even if his coach was the target -- Scotty wouldn't hold back. I don't know of any reporter who could do anything but like this loveable Alaskan for that!

5. PATRIK ELIAS

An original Devil, through and through, the Czech sniper unfailingly was available, insightful and -- when the spirit moved him -- a funny guy. Allan Kreda of The Associated Press has covered the Devils for decades so I asked him to pick his favorite New Jersey interview.
"Patrik Ellias tops my list," he replied. "He was always very good -- and with a dry sense of humor to go with it."
What made Elias so special is that he could see things clearly and see them whole and had the answers to match his insights. What helped, of course, is the fact that he delivered so many big goals, he was one of our most cherished subjects and also made sure he had time for the reporters.
Patrik caught me flat-footed once during a post-game dressing room session.
Usually, when my air time was short, I'd edit down my question to two little words -- your thoughts? -- and then await a reply. On this particular occasion, I headed straight to Elias, set up my mike, and when the cameraman indicated that he was ready to start the interview I got a momentary case of lockjaw.
But before I could open my mouth, Patrik smiled and said, "Your thoughts?"

6. SCOTT NIEDERMAYER

After a game during the Devils' successful 2000 Cup crusade, I visited the dressing room and delivered a compact disk to the man we called Nieder. "What's this?" he asked. "It's a bit of jazz that describes the way you play," I explained.
It was Stan Kenton's landmark recording of "Artistry In Rhythm." And I wanted Scotty to have it because, musically, nothing could better record just how splendidly he played his position.
Likewise, Niedermayer was just as smooth, efficient, and honest when it came to being interviewed. Not long ago, he told Eric Stephens of The Athletic, "My personality is pretty level, even-keeled."
Yesiree, that's precisely how he was after scoring one of the most memorable goals in New Jersey hockey history. In Game Two of the 1995 Final in Detroit, Scott skated end to end before scoring a goal that -- in my mind -- definitively turned the series in New Jersey's favor.
Post-game, Nieder was just as he said, delivering an even-keeled explanation how he took his own rebound off the boards to deposit the puck into the twine.
Likewise, there never was any braggadocio in his answers. If anything he'd go out of his way to share credit with his teammates. Still does.
"It's not because of one person or two people," he explained to Stephens, "it's a team that gets it done. And I was fortunate for sure to be part of some really good teams."
And, The Maven was fortunate to be able to interview this marvelous athlete through New Jersey's dynastic seasons!

7. SCOTT STEVENS

As team captain during the Devils' three Stanley Cup-winning seasons, Stevens was obliged to deliver more post-game thoughts than any other member of the hockey club. Aware of his obligations, Scott accepted his role and was unfailingly cooperative.
Mind you, that does not in any way suggest that he never was angry -- losing a playoff game will do that. I liked the fact that Captain Scott never backed off an interview even -- as once happened -- during a playoff in Tampa Bay after suffering an injury. That was the perfect example of one tough customer doing a big favor for a news-hungry media.
Scotty always was straight-arrow honest and never shirked a query even if he didn't care for the question or -- for that matter -- the journalist in question.
Most importantly, Stevens often found himself the center of controversy since he happened to be one of the most devastatingly accurate body checkers in NHL annals. (One victim of Scott's human torpedo described his check thusly: "It was like running into a redwood tree at full speed.)
Stevens' most notorious victim was Flyers center Eric Lindros, himself one of the hardest hitters of his era. The playoff flattening of Lindros was admired as a body-checking work of art. In some quarters, the Devils captain was criticized for the damage done to his victim. Writing in The Athletic, Sean Fitz-Gerald revealed both sides of the Steven controversy; specifically, how legal were the captain's blows? Many victims replied that the checks were part of the game.
What I liked most about Scott was his perfect explanation: "Hitting is part of the game. That's the bottom line. I get hit and I'm gonna give a hit. This (Playoff) is an important time. I've been playing physical the whole playoffs and I think everyone knows I'm not going to change."
Nor -- to Stevens' credit -- did he change. He was "The Captain's Captain," and a credit to the Devils while being fully respected by the media.

8. GLENN (CHICO) RESCH

Never, ever, has there been a more affable, approachable, likable, insightful and witty athlete in any sport than this goalie-turned-radio analyst. Chico arrived in East Rutherford at the very start of the Devils franchise in 1982. He provided instant credibility thanks to his 1980 Islanders Stanley Cup ring. Glenn also had time for any -- and every -- media type who approached him; simply because he was, well, Chico. A few choice Resch-isms follow:
* If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say.
* Goaltending? It's a chance for a shy person to be onstage.
* It's almost an illegal weapon. (Describing an Al MacInnis slapshot.)
* What I wanted to know is how did he always know what the toughest
play would be for me to make. (Explaining the genius of Wayne Gretzky.) .
* Playing hockey is the only job I know of where you get paid to take a nap the day of a game.
* I guess if I let in a bad goal, I can shake it off by saying the Devil made me do it.
* Mike Bossy scores goals as naturally as you and I wake up in the morning and brush our teeth.
How can you not love a character like that? You can't!

9. JAROMIR JAGR

By the time Double J arrived in New Jersey, he had been around the NHL circuit more than most superstars. Yet there was a homey, humorous twist to his demeanor, especially after a Devils victory. What's more, after morning practices or post-game sessions, Jagr would find one of his cronies and banter with him; all in good fun, mind you.
Granted, he did have a moody streak and if he happened to be slumping, he could be difficult. But more often than not he was charming. MSG Networks' Leo Scaglione told me a good Jagr story; which follows:
"I spoke to Jaromir exclusively once in his last season about his upbringing and how he managed to play so long -- and, at the time, he still had years left. I can still visualize in the Devils' old locker room and recall what he said. What was so impressive to me was that this was a Hall of Fame-bound star going into detail about what life was like in old Czechoslovakia. He told me how things were when he was a kid -- before the big time -- playing in front of small crowds.
When I asked how he succeeded in different hockey eras; that is from playing in the last days of open hockey, then through the 'trap era,' and then the post-2005 new NHL, his answer was right to the point. It was, to the effect, 'Like in life, if you don't adapt, you die.' That sure was accurate, I say, and just another reason why he was such a good interview."

10. KEN DANEYKO

Mister Devil was part of the original franchise Draft and wasted no time gaining a starting berth. What made Dabo -- then as now -- so refreshing always has been his passion and candor. This was especially evident during the 2003 Final round when coach Pat Burns had scratched him right through Game Six and then played Ken in the Cup-winning Game Seven.
Naturally rough around the edges in his formative years, he always was an eager interview and a wonderful storyteller. Kenny liked to tell about the time Lou Lamoriello called into his office for a bit of education about Devils hockey. "Lou told me that a hockey club is like a symphony orchestra," Dano recalled. "There are the string instruments -- violins, violas -- and brass and wind. He told me not to think of myself as playing the violin. 'You're the bass drummer, and get that into your head.'"
To Ken's credit, he made the difficult transition from the ice to the tv studio, and I well remember when it happened. Having been scratched by Burns, Dano was available between periods as the third man with Matt and The Maven.
Poof! Just like that, he seamlessly made the transition, full-time, the next season.
Perhaps the best tribute to Mister Devil's transition is the fact that not only has he starred with the likes of Steve Cangialosi, assorted NHL Network aces and now with our latest play-by-play star, Bill Spaulding.
YAY, DANO!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY BONUS TEN 'HONORABLE MENTIONS'

I could have added a ton more names but, suffice to say, the following remain just as much appreciated as my Top Ten.
* DAVID MALEY: He wasn't a Devil for very long but everyone I know loved the big guy when we did our schmoozes. I only wish we had more time together.
* BRENDAN SHANAHAN: This guy was a natural -- suave, sophisticated and very thoughtful. My first interview with him was an eye-catcher; he wore a bright, green sports jacket. And his answers were just as bright as his attire.
* JOHN MACLEAN: No question, Johnny Mac was popular with the media and for good reason. He was invariably' available, articulate and had plenty to say.
* CORY SCHNEIDER: Following Marty Brodeur's act was a tough role to fill but Cory would go beyond the usual questions and give plenty more; always minus cliches.
* TRAVIS ZAJAC: Sure he was low-key but Travis understood his role and unfailingly was cooperative. The longer he remained a Devil, the better he got.
* RANDY MCKAY:My pal, Leo Scaglione, Jr., called Randy "a treasure." and I buy that as well. This Crash Liner could talk goals or fisticuffs equally as well.
* DAVID CLARKSON:Too bad he couldn't hang around longer. David possessed knowledge and humor and how to teach Sean Avery a lesson!
* PETER MCNAB:Before becoming my tv commentating partner, Peter was a superior scorer and was just as special as an amiable schmoozer.
* PETER STASTNY: Aces all the way. He once firmly corrected The Maven when I said he was a "great Czech." He shot back: "SLOVAK, NOT CZECH!"
* CHRIS TERRERI:Marty's predecessor was a beaut; because of his insights, eloquence and that absolutely delightful Rhode Island accent!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLUS A COUPLE OF CURRENT GUYS

* DAMON SEVERSON:As Leo told me: "Damon's interviews always have been twice as long as the official version. There's the interview, and then there's the pre- and post- interview. He gives long and detailed responses. He's a go-to guy!"
* NICO HISCHIER: Also from my bud, Scaglione, Jr. "There's a reason he's the captain. Nico is a budding star -- on and off the ice. Question him and he'll give you detailed answers. What's more, he takes his time to deliver a good quote. You won't get cliche answers from him."