20221107_MCNAB1920x1080

The Player's Player, The Broadcaster's Broadcaster, the Fans' Favorite

We enjoyed watching Peter in Devils livery near the end of his 14-year career in the bigs. He still had the moves and was admired not merely for his scoring but affection for fans and his ability to schmooze with them.
Emmy Award-winner and Devils historian George Falkowski remembered why his New Jersey teammates like skating with McNab.
"He was the type of veteran the younger guys could look up to," Falkowski recalled. "Peter was quite a fan favorite as well. He was one of the few remaining players who didn't wear a helmet. His tall frame and blond hair stood out everywhere on the ice."
In fact, McNab was warmly received in every venue he represented which included Buffalo, Boston, Vancouver, and, of course, New Jersey.
Peter achieved stardom as a Bruin centering a line flanked by Terry O'Reilly and John Wensink. At the time, Falkowski worked for the New England Sports Network and grew to understand the Beantown fans' appreciation of McNab.
"I began to realize how much he meant to the city of Boston," Falkowski asserted, "He was beloved by many and always was given a warm welcome any time he would arrive at Boston Garden."
We came to admire Peter when he moved to New Jersey and began working under the SportsChannel banner. His young producer -- and still Devils game producer with MSG Networks, Emmy-winning Roland Dratch -- never forgot McNab's competent work and kindness.
Dratch: "Peter was one of a kind. He never was without a smile on his face and had one of the greatest laughs you ever heard. I remember him always being in a great mood and it was contagious to everyone around him. He was a true professional who worked on his craft. When I started out as a producer, he helped me every day."

McNab

Our New Jersey stat man in those years was Stu Honig who with his wife, Sherry, attended the Devils games. "Working with Peter and Gary," Stu enthused, "was some of the best times I ever had."
McNab enjoyed his years in New Jersey. I remember seeing him when he lived in Maplewood. NHL Senior VicePresident Communications John Dellapina was a neighbor when Peter had a home in Randolph.
"I just saw Peter last month at the Avs' opener," Dellapina said. "My wife, Joy, and I would see him around town and even at the local grammar school. He was a good man and a chip off the old block."
I had the pleasure of traveling with Peter for road games. It was apparent that his hockey savvy came naturally but also as a result of his upbringing. His amiable dad, Max McNab, was one of the first Devils executives whose playing exploits, including skating for the 1950 Stanley Cup-winning Detroit Red Wings.
While Peter never skated for a Cup-winner his totals of 363 goals and 818 points over 954 major league games attest to his ability to light the red lamps.
What impressed me most was Peter's blend of ice knowledge, humor, and downright modesty despite his innumerable accomplishments. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman summed up the majority view of our dear friend as follows:
"Soft-spoken and always smiling, Peter McNab was an uplifting and reassuring presence in whatever locker room or press box he worked during his more than five decades in hockey which included appearing in three Stanley Cup Finals.
"After playing, Peter then forged a lengthy and successful second career as a television and radio analyst in New Jersey and Colorado, throughout which it was always my pleasure to sit with him for an interview or simply reconnect over a handshake and a chat. The last two occasions on which we spent time together were celebratory ones -- the 2022 Stanley Cup Final and the Avalanche's opening game and banner-raising last month. I and the entire NHL family will miss him."
From all ends of the hockey spectrum, an avalanche of Tweets has been seen since news of McNab's passing was announced. Typical is one from Thomas Demko: "I always respected him and thought he was an excellent commentator."
Writing from Sunrise, Florida where he covers the Panthers, Al Greenberg observed, "Peter was a gentle giant and super nice guy."
That sentiment was reflected time and again when McNab interacted with fans.
Falkowski, who teaches journalism at several New Jersey colleges, always would introduce his students to Peter before Devils home games.
Falkowski: "Each time my students would arrive for a Colorado game, Peter was always ready with a smile and a warm greeting and always took time to speak to them. He was a great ambassador for the game. His passing is a terrible loss for the hockey community and all of us personally. But we're all so much better for having known him."
Or, this sweet Tweet from Rose Berger: "Peter was one of the nicest people ever, and a helluva player too. He was self-deprecating and a prince of a man."
Now you know why I would have worked for nothing; just to be a sidekick with Peter McNab!